Up until the late 1860's downtown Boston still featured many prominent residential mansions but were soon replaced with commercial stores, warehouses, and factories.
Cathedral of the Holy Cross on Franklin Street ca. 1855. The church steeple is of Bulfinch's Federal Street Church. These buildings were all replaced with commercial buildings by 1870.
A residential mansion at the corner of Summer Street and High Street ca 1850.
Residences at 36 Kingston Street ca. 1860.
This residence at the corner Congress Street and Purchase Street survived the Great Fire of 1872 and was eventually removed in the 1880's.
The prominent Library Pavilion building designed by architect Chracles Bulfinch was the focal point of Franklin Street in the 1850's. The arch in the building later became Arch Street which still bears the same name to the present day although the Pavilion building itself was removed by the 1870's.
Another view of the Library Pavilion building on the south side of Franklin Street ca. 1856.
Residences on the north side of Franklin Street ca. 1856.
Another view of the residences on the north side of Franklin Street ca. 1856. The buildings were all replaced with larger commerical buildings by the 1870's.
The church at Church Green near the intersection of Summer Street and Bedford Street, was vacated and removed by 1870 to be replaced by a 5-story commercial building.